On Saturday, July 9th, I will be leading the Medicinal Mushroom Workshop and Summer Foraging Hike at McConnells Mill State Park… and I would love for you to join us!
If you’re interested in learning how to identify, harvest, and use medicinal mushrooms, this is the perfect event for you. Additionally, the second half of the program includes a wild plant and mushroom foraging hike through the beautiful Slippery Rock Creek Gorge within the park.
What exactly are medicinal mushrooms? I’m glad you asked…
Medicinal mushrooms are the superstars of the fungal kingdom. Plenty of research suggests that these mushrooms demonstrate powerful anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, and anti-viral properties, and many experts consider them to be top candidates for immune-system support.
Here’s what the research says:
- A 2012 study from ISRN Oncology found that the turkey tail mushroom significantly improved the immune systems of breast cancer patients following conventional treatment.
- The chaga fungus is one of the richest sources of betulinic acid, a compound that has been shown to exhibit anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, anti-HIV, anti-malaria, and antioxidant effects (Current Medical Chemistry, 2005).
- A maitake mushroom extract has been shown to demonstrate protection against diabetes by slowing glucose absorption in the body (Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry, 2013).
…and the list goes on and on.
Now, are you ready for the best part? Medicinal mushrooms grow in Western Pennsylvania! In fact, they grow all over Pennsylvania.
Being a huge proponent of medicinal mushrooms myself, I’d love to show you how to properly identify, harvest, and create meals and medicines using these powerful mushrooms.
Additionally, if you’re interested in learning how to identify and harvest wild plants for food and medicine, this event will cover all that too.
The second part of the program, as mentioned earlier, will include a hike through Slippery Rock Creek Gorge in the park as we identify and discuss the summer edible and medicinal plants and mushrooms.
By attending this program, you will learn:
- The top 5 medicinal mushrooms of Pennsylvania and how to identify them
- Medicinal mushroom health benefits
- Where to look for medicinal mushrooms
- How to harvest medicinal mushrooms
- How to dry and store medicinal mushrooms
- How to make decoctions
- How to make tinctures
- Wild plant field identification
- Wild plant nutrition
- Plant harvesting methods
- Latin nomenclature
Here are the details:
When: Saturday, July 9th, 2016
Where: McConnells Mill State Park in Lawrence County, Western Pennsylvania (39 miles north of Pittsburgh)
Time: 1:00 – 4:30 PM
The program will entail light to moderate hiking (the terrain includes some rocks and steep hills), and the event will take place rain or shine. Please note that in order to maximize your learning experience, space is limited and registration with payment in advance is required to secure your spot. The exact class location will be provided upon registration.
To register, please contact me (Adam) at
Come enjoy a fun and exciting Saturday in a beautiful park with a great group of foragers! We look forward to seeing you there!